Singing Dunes

Singing Dunes

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Doha, Qatar - The Melting Pot of the World

I've recently come to the conclusion that Doha, Qatar is in fact the melting pot of the world...for numerous reasons.  First and foremost, I'm quite certain that this is the most hot and humid place on Earth.  Seriously.  Although the high today is only 107 with 20% humidity, which is relatively low - the next few days promise temps soaring to 117!  Who needs a grill when you can quite literally cook outside on the sidewalk!

Secondly, I truly feel that this is one of the most unique places on Earth.  Doha is in an interesting situation with having brought in people from all over the world to help with the labor of all their new fancy buildings.  So much so that the native Qataris now find themselves as a minority in their own country!  Indians make up the majority of the population, 545,000 living in Doha, followed by Nepalis at 341,000.  Both of these nationalities comprise the majority of the labor force.  Qataris are 3rd with approximately 278,000.  There are roughly 15,000 Americans living here as well.  Qatar boosts one of the fastest growing populations, quadrupling it's population over the past 14 years!!!  With all that growth comes a lot of growing pains.  (http://www.bqdoha.com/2013/12/population-qatar)

Roads.  After 5 months of living here I'm still trying to figure out the road systems.  Thank God for Garmin and the ever magical "HOME" button!  It can best be described as a bicycle with spokes and rings.  B-ring, C-ring, D-ring and so on....circle around the city center with spokes leading away from the city center.  So while you can be driving one direction one minute, in a matter of time you are circling around.  Just when you think you can take a short cut - the road ends!  And good luck making a left hand turn, when a U-turn makes more sense.  I told Eric that it's just a giant game of Mario Kart and if I make it to the finish line in one piece that I won!!!  

Drivers.  Driving school isn't for sissies!  Imagine pooling all of these nationalities together, some driving for the first time EVER and turning them loose on the roads.  SCARY!!!  People pass on the left, the right, the shoulder, down the middle.  There is no rhyme or reason, and if you try to figure it out it will make you crazy.  Trust me, it happened!  I've had many a melt downs over the crazy drivers in this country.  I've honked my horn and resisted extending a finger or two!  I told Eric that I truly believe that God has placed us in Qatar for a reason, undoubtedly to teach ME a lesson or two in patience!!  I'm trying really hard to be a better listener and less of a complainer!  Haha!!!

Melting Pot.  I find it quite amazing to say I have friends from the UK, Australia, Germany, Lebanon, France, Spain, Italy, Scotland, South Africa, Holland, and Poland to name a few.  This has been such an amazing opportunity getting to experience all of these cultures in one place. 

We did a lot of praying and reflecting on this decision to uproot our family from our cozy house in Lee's Summit, MO.  It certainly was not easy to leave family, friends, and our dog Max behind.  I've said it before, and I'll say it one more time...I truly believe that God has led us here for a purpose.  We have grown closer as a family.  Closer to God.  Stronger in our faith.  Life has slowed down.  We've taken time to savor the precious moments in life as they pass by.  This has truly been a blessing, although not easy at times, but a true blessing.  He has led us to an oasis in the desert, and we are so very thankful.

No comments :

Visits to this site

Counters