Singing Dunes

Singing Dunes

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Arabic Mother's Day

A few weeks ago when I picked Madie up from school she told me that she was working on something for me for Mother's Day!  I thought, "must be something pretty big if she's starting on it now!"  A few days later I passed by the Hallmark store and they had signs up advertising Arabic Mother's Day March 21st!  I quickly alerted Eric, as Madie kept saying she was going to really spoil me for Mother's day!  One thing to note is that over here the weekends are on Friday and Saturday, which is all still very confusing to me.  I should also add that there were signs for UK Mother's Day, or "Mothering Sunday" as they call it.  That will be celebrated this coming Sunday, March 30th.  I thought about trying to jump in on that holiday as well, but thought I better not push my luck!  The thought never crossed my mind that other countries might celebrate holidays during different times of the year!  That's what I get for being a narrow minded American!  Now, back to my Arabic Mother's Day celebration!!!
 It started off with breakfast in bed and showered with homemade cards, a ceramic rose, and a vase with some paper flowers!
 After breakfast, Eric wanted to hit up the whole sale market.  He had been once before, but wanted to take the rest of us to see it.
 Tons, and I mean TONS of fresh veggies and fruits!
 One gentleman gave Madie a sweet plum to try!  She loved it, and we bought 5 more!

 After purchasing our veggies we wandered across the street to the plant souq.  I couldn't help but think this is EXACTLY how I've spent many mother's days, wandering thru Heartland Nursery back home. 
 Love all the flowers!!!
 This was our haul - we got all the fruits and veggies for about $25 and I got two little plants for $20
 We got cleaned up and drove over to the Pearl to check out the big yacht that's been docked there!
 Absolutely stunning!  Unfortunately, it wasn't in the Mother's day budget this year, at a mere price tag of $275 million.  Click here to read more details about this beauty.
 We enjoyed walking around the Pearl and had a yummy lunch at the Noodle House
 The kids were naturals with the chopsticks and Madie tried the tofu!
After lunch we treated ourselves to some Marble Slab Creamery before heading back home.  I had a wonderful Arabic Mother's day.  Eric and the kids really do spoil me rotten! 

No comments :

Visits to this site

Counters