Singing Dunes

Singing Dunes

Monday, February 23, 2015

Back in America

As I was putting the kids to bed last night I realized that yesterday marked 2 months since we've returned to the US.  2 whole months!!!  Where has the time gone!???  I'm going to briefly catch you up on where we are and what we've been doing these past 2 months.

We hit the U.S. soil running, jumping right into Christmas.  We celebrated on Dec 23rd with my family and on the 24th with Eric's family.  To say that this was not our typical Christmas would be an understatement.  In the midst of moving we didn't get to celebrate some of our usual traditions, but we made the best of it none-the-less.

That following weekend Eric and I headed down to Lee's Summit in search of a place to live.  It was pretty slim pickings in terms of a house.  We looked at 3 places and we were very fortunate to have found a home only 5 minutes from the kids school, our church, shopping etc.  It's on the western side of Lee's Summit and makes for a little bit of a shorter commute for Eric.  It also sits on 5 acres of land which we just LOVE!!!  We are renting for at least 6 months until we find a home we would like to buy.

 Thank goodness for family to help me move since Eric had to return to Doha January 1st!!!

Enjoying beautiful sunsets from the kitchen windows

The kids started school January 5th and have quickly gotten back into the groove.  Madie has joined the school choir and Girl Scouts.  Kaiden will be playing baseball in the spring and Madison is going to give soccer a go.  We truly couldn't ask for a better school and church family.  They have welcomed us back with open arms and have been extremely helpful.

Kealy and I have enjoyed being home together.  Playing games, coloring, trips to the library, and lunch dates with friends!  It's a good life!

Although we were hoping to extend our Doha experience a bit longer, it has been nice to be home.  My Grandma Rauth's health has been declining and I am very glad to be close at home to see her more and help my Mom.  I don't miss the crazy traffic or how difficult it can be to find things in the stores.  I do miss the gas attendants, especially in these freezing temps!!!  I miss being able to walk out my front door and visit with my neighbors, and hear the kids running around, and feeling completely safe with them being outside by themselves.  Now I can't let them out of my sight.  Kinda sad the fears with live with.

Words can't even begin to describe how much I miss my dear friend Tiggy.  It's kind of crazy how much and how quickly you can bond with someone you just met, but Tigs and I are kindred spirits.  Truly, the time you share with those you love the most is never, ever enough.  Thank goodness for technology and trans-Atlantic flights!!!  

I am very grateful for the Burns & Mac Doha family we've created.  Especially during moments when nobody else seems to understand what I'm feeling or why, I have an amazing group of women to turn to for support.

This experience has changed our family, I'd like to think for the better.  It's given us the opportunity to slow down and truly appreciate what matters in life.  We are trying to hold onto some of that while jumping into the rat race back home.  Yesterday I sat on the couch and read for 30 minutes.  I can honestly say I NEVER did that before because I didn't feel like I could take time for MYSELF.  There was always cleaning, dance, sports, yard work or SOMETHING to be done.

My new mantra
  It doesn't matter about money, or fast cars, or who slagged you off. What matters is the little things in life, the flowers, the animals, the sunset and the friends.

Visits to this site

Counters