Singing Dunes

Singing Dunes

Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Doha Driver

I set off this morning with a mission in mind....to buy some Halloween decorations and goodies for the Boo Bash we are having on Thursday.  Sounds easy enough, right?  The distance from our place to the party store is a little less than 7km (roughly 4.3 miles) - on a good day it takes me roughly 15 minutes to get from here there.  Today it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes.  I'm sure you're thinking, there must've been an accident or something, right?  Nope, just good old fashioned Doha traffic with a few traffic cops thrown into the mix, just for fun.

It's not uncommon for traffic to get backed up on a daily basis, especially on the more common thoroughfares.  So I wasn't surprised by the lack of movement.  However, I had never seen the traffic police walking amongst the vehicles taking down license plates, and instructing them to pull over into an empty lot to meet with another office.  Thankfully I was not selected to be part of this process!!!

After inching along, I finally made it to the giant roundabout where I had to take the 3rd exit to the right.  Things were looking good until I was half way around the roundabout and traffic was bumper to bumper and I was supposed to exit.  Like prodding cattle, I was slowly moved along and ended up going around again!!!  By this point in my journey I was so completely frustrated that I decided I would just take the first exit and try to find my way back home.  Seriously!!!!

As I'm weaving thru smaller streets, still jam packed with cars, and trying to frantically punch the "go home" button on my snazzy Garmin.  (Thank God for Garmin or I would completely lose it!  After all, who can remember street names like Freejaj Al Soudan, or Al Azizya)  I come to a small roundabout and low and behold, there is the SAME party store I was looking for at what is either a new location or a second store!  Praise God!!!  I swiftly pull over and park on the sidewalk, because that's what you do in a city of over 2 million people with about 10 parking spots.  I jump out, pleased that my travels and time weren't a complete waste!!!

I quickly grab the items I'm looking for, plates, napkins, party favors etc.  The Filapino women who are helping me are so very nice (they don't have any carts or baskets in the store, so as I'm loading my arms up, she's taking it to the counter for me).  As I'm paying for my goods they are asking me about the party we are having, and I am thanking them for stocking their store with goodies to make this party possible!  (Target, how I miss you!!!!)

Now back out into traffic to forge my way home!  As I'm creeping down a one-lane road that people have magically made into two lanes simply by refusing to merge, low and behold, there are the traffic cops again!  Thankfully, on the other side of the road.  I zip thru a roundabout, horns blazing, tires screeching, praying that my invisible shield is working today.  I make it thru and the only thing separating me from home is one light and one roundabout.  I make it home in record time (thanks to my NASCAR driving skills!  I always knew all that MarioKart playing would pay off some day)  I decide that one errand was enough for today, after all, we still have to get out for church tonight!!!

No comments :

Visits to this site

Counters